What is a freelancer’s biggest nightmare? I say this. That is losing clients. Whether a freelancer is new or old in this career field, the fear of losing clients is on everyone’s mind, more or less.
Again, many times it happens that freelancers keep losing clients, but they can’t find the reason behind it. In today’s article, I will share precisely why a freelancer can lose clients and what can be done to eliminate this problem.
Why does a freelancer lose clients?
To solve any problem, first of all, it is necessary to find the cause of the problem. That’s why at the beginning of the article, I will tell everyone exactly which reasons are responsible for losing clients of a freelancer:
- False commitments are one of the biggest reasons freelancers lose clients. A freelancer naturally has the highest idea of his skills and abilities. He knows what level of service he can provide to his clients. Now if he has given more commitment to the clients than he is capable of delivering, then naturally the service he will provide to the clients will not be up to the mark. As a result, the client will no longer be interested in working with that freelancer.
- Many freelancers in the freelancing community work with many clients simultaneously. As a result, they often need to provide equal quality service to all clients. As a result, they lose clients.
- It is not just that a freelancer loses clients due to problems in providing services. Sometimes a client’s and freelancer’s personalities don’t match. As a result, they cannot effectively communicate with each other. Then the client thinks another freelancer can provide him with a better service. Then he hired someone else. This also resulted in the loss of a freelancer client.
- We all know that when a freelancer can increase his skills and experience, he raises his payment rate accordingly. It often happens that the freelancer’s increased payment rate is not liked by his current clients, or they cannot afford that rate, so those clients no longer want to work with that freelancer.
- A freelancer may often work under a client, but suddenly that client stops taking the service for some personal reason. Or the client shifts from the company he was working for and joins another team in another company. Then the client can no longer work with the freelancer they used to work with regularly. As a result, the freelancer lost clients.
A freelancer experiences losing clients in his career mainly due to these reasons.
What can be done in such a situation of losing clients?
Many people think that only freelancers starting a new career may lose clients. But this is not true at all. I have seen many freelancers who have lost clients for various reasons, even after reaching the peak point of their careers.
This problem of losing clients can be dealt with quickly if you work with a cool head and in a strategic way. So let’s know how a freelancer can handle this situation when he faces the problem of losing a client.
When a freelancer starts losing clients, I suggest keeping a cool head. I know it’s not a good thing when a freelancer starts losing clients. However, if you panic in such a situation, it will be counterproductive. Many waves of panic and begin blaming the clients they have lost, which is not the way to go.
But always remember that losing clients is part of a freelancing career. So if you ever face this situation, keep your head as cool as possible and don’t panic, and keep thinking about how much savings you have and how long you can continue with these savings. Usually, most freelancers have bank accounts and try to save some money in their budget for the future.
But these savings come in handy when the number of clients declines. So calculate in your mind the amount of money you have saved, how long you can run with that money, and how it will be possible to run well even if you spend less money. Remember, this situation will not last forever. So try to be frugal in this temporary situation.
Know what to do next? Prepare yourself mentally to find new clients. At this time, no negative thoughts can be brought to your mind. Instead, always be positive.
What can be done to find new clients now? Referrals from old clients help tremendously in generating new clients. If you have a client with whom your communication is excellent, you can request a referral. But never force a referral on a client.
Also, if you work outside the marketplace, you can generate clients using social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn. Cold email is also very effective for generating leads. And if you face any problem while looking for this new client, ask for help from the experts. You will see that you can create clients again gradually.
When gradually getting new clients, communicate with them properly, understand their demands, and provide as high-quality service as possible. Target new clients you start working with to convert them into ideal clients.
At the end of the writing, I want to say this for everyone: losing this client brings enough mental stress for a freelancer, but this phase is temporary. So by relying on your skills and work to generate new clients, you can get out of this situation.